[ Masterweb Reports: Abayomi Awelewa reports ] - British American Tobacco Nigeria (BATN) Limited has restated its commitment to the successful implementation of the Lagos State Public Place Smoking Law, which came into effect on August 17. The company said that it would continue to support key stakeholders in the country to drive a fully compliant and well regulated tobacco sector in a transparent and responsible manner.
The statement came against the backdrop of a reaction to BATN's recent sensitisation of officers of the Lagos State Police Command on the Lagos State Public Place Smoking Law.
The company stated that it was surprised that a Lagos-based NGO would fault the sensitisation of enforcement agents on the recently passed Lagos Public Smoking law. Freddy Messanvi, Area Director, Corporate and Regulatory Affairs, BAT West Africa, said that the company believes that this was a task which such NGOs should spearhead.
Messanvi stated that help is needed from NGOs and other stakeholders to enhance understanding and appreciation of the law, and not a time to engage in industry de-normalisation tactics. Other issues requiring the urgent attention of all stakeholders include stemming the increasing tide of illegal trade within the sector and using the funding that the NGOs get from their international partners to build the capacity of agencies who work on tobacco control to ensure that there is compliance with stated laws and regulations.
He said that engagement with stakeholders such as the recent sensitisation event of officers of the Nigeria Police in Lagos was held in accordance with the World Health Organisation’s Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, FCTC, Article 5.3. The sensitisation of the Police was done in public and the engagement was transparently conducted.
In a welcome development and quite contrary to the norm, Lagosians have in recent times been empowered to understand what exactly the law says. The Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, LASEPA, which is tasked with enforcing the Lagos State Public Place smoking Law, had embarked on sensitising Lagos State residents on the provisions of the law which came into force on August 17, 2014.
Recently, a public hearing was held by the Joint Committee on Health and Justice of the House of Representatives. Stakeholders at the public hearing welcomed further regulation of the sector but tasked the legislators to ensure that the legislation was balanced and enforceable. Pro-industry stakeholders at the public hearing also asked the legislators to ensure that there is balance in whatever law that is passed.
In recent times, stakeholders have asked NGOs involved in tobacco control to get more involved in consumer education and funding of research of alternative and healthier products for consumers, who insist on smoking as these areas are critically needed in countries like Nigeria.
The Lagos State Public Place Smoking Law has been generally acknowledged as a balanced law and one worthy of being a model for other such legislations.
1, Rainbow Drive, Peace Estate
Off Kudirat Abiola Way
Mobile: +234 803 390 5221+234 803 390 5221
*Photo Caption - A smoker
[ Masterweb Reports: Press Release For Immediate Release ] - Boastful Junior Minister of Federal Ministry of Education, Chief Nyesome Wike, a governorship aspirant on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), was today exposed as all noise and no substance as ‘Hurricane Amaechi’ blew across Wike’s place of origin and purported stronghold, Obio-Akpor Local Government in Rivers State. WIke’s loud boasts of being the political strongman of the area were exposed as tissues of lies by his own people as Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, the Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) and State Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), stormed the local government area as part of his ‘Meet the People’ tour.
Before the visit of Governor Amaechi to Obio-Akpor, his Chief of Staff, Chief Tony Okocha, and Hon. Lawrence Chukwu, the CTC Chairman, had for the past two months toured the area and prepared the people for the visit through several philanthropic activities that earned the Chief of Staff the nickname, Chief MKO Abiola of Rivers State.
Governor Amaechi was enthusiastically received at each of the Wards by an unprecedented crowd. It was more of a home coming for the Governor, who used the opportunity to throw more light on his government’s projects in each of the Wards. Women – both old and young – chiefs, elders, men, artistes, political leaders, non-indigenes, the handicapped, youths, masquerades and even children all gathered to pay homage to a son who has redefined politics as agent of change.
According to the speakers while addressing Amaechi in most of the communities, “Developmental strides shall continue to speak for you, even in 2015 and beyond. The network of roads, schools, hospitals and healthcare centres, human capacity developments, empowerment of Rivers people by the State and Local Government councils, all these communities are beneficiaries. You have broken the jinx of underdevelopment in most of the communities in Rivers State.”
The turnout of non-indigenes was something else and, according to Alh. Usman Lamido and Mr. Chris Omerulu, who spoke on behalf of the non-indigenes, “We have seen the developmental strides in Rivers State. What you have done in the state has compelled us to say we will support you anywhere you go. We will follow you anywhere you go. Sir, your people shall be our people and our people shall be your people. We will follow you because you have established yourself as a trailblazer, agent of change, patriotic and detribalised Nigerians that have given us hope in a vibrant and united Nigeria.”
Hon. Ike Chinwo, a one-time member of the Federal House of Representatives and a political heavyweight from Obio-Akpor, observed that Governor Amaechi’s visit can only be described as a political hurricane and uprooting of any structure Chief Wike may have had in Rivers State. He further stated: “I must congratulate and commend Chief Tony Okocha for not only demystifying Chief Wike in his Local Government to demonstrate to the entire world that Chief Wike is just deceiving President Jonathan and his cohorts that he is on ground politically while he is just an empty noise-maker.”
Reacting to the encomiums poured on him in most of the communities, Chief Tony Okocha stated: “I am happy that since I assumed office as the Chief of Staff to Governor Amaechi, I have erased indiscipline, corruption, criminal acquisition, insubordination to the Governor, arrogance, nepotism and have promoted acts of excellence in the affairs of governance in the government unlike when Wike held sway as the Chief of Staff when he runs the office in a very unholy manner where corruption and other evil vices were the hallmarks. Most importantly, I have sustained the vision and focussed governance by the Governor; at least he now sleeps with his two eyes closed than when a blackmailer, saboteur and backstabber was the Chief of Staff.”
Governor Amaechi, on his part, explained at each place he visited that the tour is not political as he is the Governor of Rivers State and political leader of all the political parties in the State, including APC, PDP and others. He thus explained that he did not embark on the tour to campaign for any political party but to showcase his feats in all parts of Rivers State that include quality roads, model health centres, model primary and secondary schools.
Addressing the people of Mgbuesilaru Community, where he upgraded and recognised the Nye-Weli Chieftaincy Stool of Eze Ejike Wali to second class chieftaincy stool, Amaechi explained the role he played in the political appointment of sons and daughters of Ikwerre land and notable politicians. “I shunned ethnic politics in the Assembly when I was Speaker, which paved way for the appointment of Justice Iche Ndu as Chief Judge. I also supported the move for the election of Hon. Austin Okpara as Deputy Speaker of Federal House of Representatives,” he said.
Governor Amaechi called on eligible voters in every community he visited to participate in the upcoming voter registration exercise.
The communities visited were Mgbuesilaru, Rumuodara, Eliowhani, Iriebe, Elelenwo, Rumuokwurusi and Atali. Others were Woji, Rumurolu, Rumuogba, Rumuibekwe, Rumuomasi, and Rumuobiakani.
In almost all the communities, the people thanked Governor Amaechi for empowering the people of Obio/Akpor LGA through Sir Tony Okocha and the CTC Chairman, Dr. Lawrence Chukwu, in skills acquisition, provision of vehicles, payment of SURE-P, monetary assistance for business and trading purposes for widows and indigent persons in the communities.
Long Live APC!
Long Live Rivers State!!
Chief Eze Chukwuemeka Eze,
SSA Media and Public Affairs to the State Chairman, APC Rivers State
*Photo Caption - Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi
[ Masterweb Reports: Press Release For Immediate Release ] - Chevrolet today announced it is hosting 11 children from around the world - including Mfanelo Mabale and Nokuthula Nkabinde of Johannesburg, South Africa - in Manchester, England this week to serve as mascots for Manchester United's Premier League season-opener on Saturday at Old Trafford.
Mfanelo and Nokuthula - along with children ages 10-13 from Brazil, China, South Korea and the United States, among other countries - were selected to be part of Chevrolet's "What Do You #PlayFor?" campaign to bring football fans closer to their beloved sport and spread the power of play around the world.
"Enabling these children to live the dream of being on the Old Trafford pitch with the Manchester United first team is an unprecedented and dramatic way to celebrate our global partnership with the club and usher in a Chevrolet opening match tradition," said Tim Mahoney, chief marketing officer, Global Chevrolet. "Watching them walk onto the pitch is sure to inspire football fans everywhere, and certainly will be special for their families and friends, as well as everyone at Chevrolet and Manchester United."
In addition to serving as mascots, Mfanelo, Nokuthula and nine other children will attend Manchester United's famed Soccer School, meet club players and legends, receive a tour of the Club's iconic Old Trafford stadium, and more.
"We are delighted to welcome such a diverse line up of mascots to Old Trafford," Manchester United Group Managing Director, Richard Arnold said. "This is the first time our mascots have travelled from such a wide range of countries and the occasion truly demonstrates the Club's global fan base and worldwide appeal. It is rare for 11 mascots to lead out the team and their inclusion shows both Manchester United and Chevrolet's desire to mark this very special day."
The children were selected to serve as mascots due in part to their love of the game, determination to overcome a variety of challenges, and use play to realize anything is possible. The opportunity to be a mascot is part of Chevrolet's "What Do You #PlayFor?" campaign to bring football fans closer to the sport and spread the power of play around the world. Each child's story is featured at www.ChevroletFC.com.
Since announcing its partnership with Manchester United in 2012, Chevrolet has tapped into the scale and passion of football to spread the power of play worldwide, including donating nearly 1 million nearly indestructible balls from One World Futbol Project for use by more than 26 million youth in 60-plus countries in Africa, Asia, and the Americas.
Chevrolet also recentlyrevitalized a pitch in Bandung, Indonesia, on behalf of a local organization that uses soccer to increase the quality of life for people living with HIV and drug addiction, and Chevrolet donated a pop-up pitch and pickup truck and trailer to help transform gang-laden streets in Chicago into a place where children can play and learn valuable life skills. Manchester United legends attended both events to work with coaches and kids on a variety of soccer skills and techniques.
To celebrate its new, seven-year Manchester United shirt sponsorship, Chevrolet is inviting fans around the world to upload photos of themselves wearing a digital version of the new shirt at www.ChevroletFC.com. Chevrolet also recently released a video on www.ChevroletFC.com featuring Manchester United players, legends and fans paying homage to the history of the club's shirts that has attracted more than 10 million views.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.9 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
About Manchester United
Manchester United is one of the most popular and successful sports teams in the world, playing one of the most popular spectator sports on Earth. Through our 136-year heritage we have won 62 trophies, enabling us to develop the world's leading sports brand and a global community of 659 million followers. Our large, passionate community provides Manchester United with a worldwide platform to generate significant revenue from multiple sources, including sponsorship, merchandising, product licensing, new media & mobile, broadcasting and match day.
Hi-resolution photographs are available on www.quickpic.co.za
Nandi N. Matomela | Sub-Saharan Africa Communications Co-ordinator | General Motors South Africa
Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: +27 41 403 9215 | Mobile: +27 83 929 8785+27 83 929 8785
GM Africa - Email: email@example.com
*Photo Caption - Chevrolet logo
[ Masterweb Reports ] - 1. Ohanaeze Youth Wing rejoices with our Muslim brothers on the occasion of this year’s Eid El Fitr celebration. In the spirit of Sallah, we enjoin them to promote peaceful co-existence by imbibing the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad.
2. In the same vein, we ask the Northern Governors’ Forum under the leadership of Dr. Babangida Muazu Aliyu of Niger State to reassure Ndi-Igbo domiciled in the North of their safety and their continued preparedness to ensure the safety of lives and properties of all Nigerians in their respective states.
3. This has become necessary owing to recent statements emanating from the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) listing Igbo investments in the North as targets of possible attacks based on unfounded claims of victimization of Hausa/ Fulani Muslims in Imo State.
4. We challenge such Hausa/Fulani Muslims who were allegedly victimized by Governor Rochas Okorocha’s Government to make their identities known. In the spirit of oneness, the Ohanaeze Youth Wing shall use all legal means to champion their cause.
5. Based on intelligence reports that Boko Haram is working assiduously to setup bases in Eastern Nigeria, we ask security agencies in Ala-Igbo to be alert and not to be distracted by ongoing attempts to politicize issues of national security.
6. We urge Dr. Aliyu Mu’azu to emulate Governor T.A. Orji of Abia State, who as Chairman, South East Governors’ Forum has always assured Hausa/ Fulani Muslims and all other non-Igbos resident in Ala-Igbo of their safety.
7. From our intelligence reports, Ndi-Igbo in north are apprehensive since no Northern leader, especially the Governors has come out to condemn the Anti-Igbo statement from the ACF.
8. We commend Ndi-Igbo in the North for being peaceful and we enjoin them to remain vigilant while living harmoniously with their hosts.
9. Obviously, the present threat to Ndigbo is in response to their perceived support for President Jonathan’s 2015 re-election bid.
10. If within 21 days the Northern Governors’ Forum does not deem it necessary to reassure Ndi-Igbo in their domain of their safety, the Ohanaeze Youth Wing shall take necessary action.
Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro
National President, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Wing Worldwide
*Photo Caption - Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro
[ Masterweb Reports ] - Christians and pastors in Nigeria interested in pursuing seminary Education at the bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level now have the opportunity to complete all of their courses online and free of charge with a full scholarship at North Central Theological Seminary, an accredited online religious vocational institution of higher learning based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Candidates interested in pursuing a bachelor's degree program must have a high school diploma or equivalent. To pursue the Master's program, they must have a bachelor's degree in any vocation, and for admission into the doctorate program, a master's degree in........ Read More.
*Photo Caption - Masterweb Breaking News Logo
[ Masterweb Reports: Press Release For Immediate Release ] - The Abia State Government has directed all property owners and developers in urban areas of the State especially in Aba, Umuahia, Ohafia, Abiriba to immediately visit the Purpose Clause Verification/Authentication Office of the Ministry of Physical Planning & Urban Renewal at New Secretariat, Umuahia, to verify and authenticate the titled purpose clause of their properties.
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Charles Ajunwa said affected in the exercise are residential, commercial, industrial, public and other buildings.
According to the release, owners of such properties are requested to show evidence of approved developments (where applicable) within 30 days from the announcement, warning that failure to comply with the directive within the stipulated period will lead to the revocation of such titles.
He said that such properties include hotels, filling stations, corporate buildings, private educational institutions, banks, warehouses, churches, etc.
The statement adds that the government has provided three major markets that are of international standard – the Ubani Ibeku Modern Market, the Allied and Artisan Market at Ohiya and the Industrial Market at Azueke where traders can conveniently do their business, and directs all traders to relocate to any of the markets in their own interest.
Chief Press Secretary
*Photo Caption - Governor T. A. Orji of Abia State
[ Masterweb Reports: Press Release For Immediate Release ] - The Rivers State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has described as shocking and retrogressive, the impeachment of 15th July, 2014 by the Adamawa State House of Assembly, of the Governor of Adamawa State, Admiral Murtala Hamman-Yero Nyako (retd).
“We never thought that Adamawa State lawmakers would allow external forces to cause them to impeach a Governor that was not only duly elected but also enjoyed the overwhelming support of the people of Adamawa State just to satisfy the selfish and evil plots of undemocratic elements operating from Abuja. To us, this is a retrogressive development aimed at rubbishing a man who has sacrificed so much for the unity and progress of Nigeria as a nation,” Rivers APC Chairman, Chief (Dr.) Davies Ibiamu Ikanya, said.
Continuing, Ikanya said in a statement issued in Port Harcourt: “It is a pity that Nyako have to pay for the sin of spearheading the election of President Jonathan both at the 2011 PDP Presidential Primaries election and the general election proper of Mr. President in 2011. This is one of the reasons why also Rivers State is under siege for given Mr. President the highest number of votes during the 2011 Presidential election. We are not used to crying over spilled milk but we will like to assure Adamawa people that we are solidly behind them, not minding the efforts of some undemocratic forces to put our democracy in danger. Impeachment is a normal exercise in any democracy but any induced impeachment like that of Adamawa State is condemnable. It beats my imagination why the PDP-led Federal Government should be putting our democracy in danger by luring and forcing some disgruntled and misguided lawmakers to be making efforts to impeach Governors of only APC-controlled states. The cases of Edo and Nasarawa states readily come to mind. The world is watching and let us sees where all these rascality acts will lead us to as a nation”.
“We all should be on guard before these undemocratic elements collapses our democracy just because of their desperation to install President Jonathan for a third time as the President of Nigeria against the letters of our Constitution that says that nobody should act as a President for more than eight years. Should these elements succeed in their evil plot, they will be making President Jonathan to preside over this nation for over ten years and maybe thereafter make him a LIFE PRESIDENT!”
Meanwhile, Chief Tony Okocha, the Chief of Staff to Governor Chibuike Amaechi, has reiterated that the sad event that took place in Adamawa State will never be allowed to happen in Rivers State as the majority of the lawmakers in Rivers State are true progressives who are loyal to both the APC and Governor Amaechi and who will never give in to such rascality as exhibited by the Adamawa lawmakers.
Chief Okocha maintained that efforts by the powers that be in Abuja to use the renegade Group of 6 Lawmakers to unconstitutionally unseat Governor Amaechi will come to nothing since the majority of Rivers State lawmakers have resolved to swim and sink with the mandate of the Rivers State people embodied in the person of Governor Amaechi. “I wish to assure all APC faithful and the entire good people of Rivers State that they should continue with their normal business activities as no effort by some unscrupulous undemocratic elements will succeed in thwarting or tampering with the mandate they freely gave to Governor Amaechi as I am very convinced that we are capable and ready to defend the mandate no matter the odds,” Chief Okocha said while thanking the APC Youths League Rivers State Chapter and Igbo Professionals in Rivers State that came to pay him a solidarity visit.
While the Rivers State APC Youths League was led by Comrade Hart Lawson accompanied by Solomon Okocha, Chris Okah among other leaders of the group, the Igbo Group was led by a business mogul in Rivers State, High Chief Ubaka Williams, and was accompanied by the Secretary, Barr. Obinna JK Chukwu, Chief Uchenna Okokoba the leader of Non Indigenes in Rivers State, among other great Igbo leaders of thought.
Chief Okocha further assured the two groups that with the feats recorded by Governor Amaechi in the areas of education, health, agriculture, infrastructure and good governance, APC is a sure bet to retain the Brick Wall (Government House) come 2015 not minding the resolve of PDP bigwigs to resort to rigging and intimidation as they are sure that the Rivers State people have abandoned them.
Comrade Hart Lawson and Chief Ubeka in their remarks said: “We are here on behalf of the good people of Rivers State to assure our performing Governor of our unflinching support and readiness at any time to defend and protect the mandate we freely gave to Governor Amaechi.”
Long Life APC!
Long Life Rivers State!!
Chief Eze Chukwuemeka Eze,
SSA Media and Public Affairs to the State Chairman, APC Rivers State
*Photo Caption - Impeached Governor Murtala Nyako Of Adamawa State
[ Masterweb Reports: Obinna Akukwe reports ] - This is a passionate plea to world leaders viz Obama, Hollande, Merkel, Putn, Jinping , Ban Ki Moon and other leaders to do something urgent before the Boko Haram Jihadists gang-rape to death the over 250 school girls abducted in Chibok in April and another set of teenagers and young girls numbering above 250 abducted in villages near Chibok in numerous other raids between April and June. Below are lists of what these Christian teenagers are facing in the hands of Jihadists who claim that they want to modify the secular status of Nigeria.
(1) The first hint of what these christian school girls are passing through was when a little boy of 15 years discovered two of the abducted girls tied to a tree, raped and abandoned to die in the forest about a week after their abduction. The crime of those girls was that they refused to convert to Islam and terrorists raped them either unto conversion or unto death. According to Baba Goni “I heard the girls crying and telling the others that they had been raped, then just left there. They had been with the other girls in Chibok, all taken from the school in the middle of the night by armed men in military uniform” Baba Goni also said that the villagers told him that” four were dead, shot by their captors for being stubborn and uncooperative”
(2) Few days later a few girls escaped from the camp of the religious rapists and narrated that they are being raped up to 15 times in a day. According to Oladimeji Thomas, a christian Councillor working with other groups to help the traumatized victims, ” one of the girls I inter viewed told me that she was raped 15 times by 15 men in a day.” Going further Oladimeji said that “..it is obvious the girl needs to be managed she looked confused. She found it hard to talk to me but after much prodding, she confessed to me that she was raped 15 times a day by 15 men throughout the time she was with the Islamic insurgents before she could escape from their den”
(3) Weeks later, another escapee christian girl who was earlier abducted some months before the Chibok abduction narrated her experience in the hands of the terrorist. According to this lady by name Rosemary( surname withheld to avoid victimization) who was captured months earlier around Maiduguri , but fortunately was able to escape Boko Haram, somewhere near Bama. She spoke to newsmen lying on a hospital bed. Rosemary narrated that over seven men slept with her every day for over two months.
The victim also confirmed that she was held captive with more than 30 other women and young girls. Rosemary that all the females were forcefully used by the insurgents as sex toys. The virgins ones and the very young girls were usually given to the leaders. The older women, or the married ones, were left for ordinary fighters.
Many of the abducted women and girls would never return. Rosemary confirmed that Boko Haram kills women for non-compliance to the sexual demands, punishes them regularly. Female hostages at terrorists’ camps die from torture as well.
(4) Senator Ahmed Khalifa Zanna, representing Borno Central in Nigeria’s legislative chamber revealed that some of the girls are being gang-raped and shot and the video is being circulated in Borno. According to Senator Zanna’s testimony, “actually the information I’m getting, some of them are very disturbing. Although I don’t want to mention but they are just raping the girls on camera and even showing them on video, releasing it to the public”
Zanna explained further that “Somebody told me that they were shown being raped, and in turn, it is the girl who was raped that came out kneeling down and begging the man to be patient. Do you know the reason why? They said when they rape them they shoot them. Therefore the girl after being raped, she curled down to the man, kneeling down and begging him to please be patient. So disturbing”.
(5) A Boko Haram commander who came to Borno to buy lorry loads of foodstuff for the insurgents by name Mallam Hassan Ali was apprehended in May and the sexual Jihadist. confessed to the Civilian JTF ( a volunteer group of locals against Boko Haram activities) that two of the abducted school girls were already married off to him, despite his advanced age. Later reports that the girls are being married off reached the leadership of Christian Association of Nigeria(CAN). Senators Zanna and Ali Ndume from Borno State later confirmed that they are being married off .
(6) Mallam Abubakar Shekau had said in his televised video that he will sell off the girls as slaves because in his own words Allah told him to do so. According to Shekau” “I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah,”. Going further the murderer said that “God instructed me to sell them, they are his properties and I will carry out his instructions,”. This came weeks after those girls, most of them virgins, have been sexually molested to heights beyond hellish comprehension ostensibly on the orders of Allah.
(6) Former President of Nigeria Olusegun Obasanjo had alluded in a controversial interview that the many of the abducted girls will never return alive (probably those being shot or raped to dead for failing to convert to Islam, and those who converted earlier and after heights of inhuman sexual molestations, decided to recant their conversion). He also talked of those already pregnant with children. Obasanjo claimed that government failed to act on time to rescue the girls and inferred that his attempt to negotiate the release of the girls was not accepted by the Nigerian government. These girls are just abandoned in the hands of Jihadist rapists.
(7) Two weeks ago, Chibok Christian residents disappointed that the over eight hundred thousand personnel of the Nigerian Armed Forces could not deliver their precious daughters from the hands of the Jihadist rapists despite empty promises, resorted to prayers to intercede for God to save their children. Boko Haram would have none of their prayers, they attacked them in their churches on a Sunday morning and by the time the violence was over, nine churches were burnt down and over eighty worshipers killed, including some relations of the abducted girls.
(8) Chibok is literally dead, the town is deserted, residents are hiding inside the bush, parents of the abducted girls are dying one by one, as at last count, nine have died while the rest are walking corpses. The rest of the nation sees the Chibok issue as stale news, politicians are looting treasury, including funds meant to fight the insurgents, and political spokespersons of government and the opposition are hypocritically throwing tantrums at each other.
(9) Going by the account of the few escapees, they are raped by 15 men, 15 times daily, a harrowing experience for teenagers of age ranging from 12-18 years. 15 different men raping a little school girl 15 times daily translates to 1350 different men having forced carnal knowledge of each girl within the 90 days they have been kidnapped.and if by the next ten days, when they would have clocked 100 days in detention, there is no negotiated or forced release from the den of the Jihadists, they would have been raped 1500 times by 1500 different men .
(10) Nigeria's government of Goodluck Jonathan and his entire armed forces have shown cluelessness concerning the Chibok issue and the false hopes they gave the victim's parents ( many of whom have died as a result of heart break) that their daughters will soon be back, prevented these parents from seeking self help solution. Government preoccupation is funding and winning the forthcoming presidential election, scheduled for first quarter of 2015, and Chibok abduction have ceased to be an important factor, except for few pubic relations rhetoric.
The Islamic leaders of Nigeria have equally failed to mobilize the Muslim populace to stamp out this group committing atrocities in the name of Allah, and continued to deny that the perpetrators are their members. The international community should close all differences and save these innocent girls abandoned to an evil fate by an insensitive Federal Government and Islamic Leadership living in self-denial.
Obama, Hollande, Merkel, Putin, Jinping, Please Save These girls
This crime of using multiple inhuman gang-raping to force people to convert to Islam is another export from the Nigerian brand of Jihadists, and if the United States, Britain, France, Germany, China, Russia and indeed the entire developed nations do not join hand to rescue these girls and prosecute those responsible, other Islamic militias all over the world will adopt the ideology of kidnapping and raping school girls.as means of prosecuting warfare. I enjoin world leaders like Barrack Obama, Francois Holande, Angela Merkel, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, Ban Ki Moon and other world leaders to either authorize the storming of the terrorist hideouts and release the girls or directly initiate negotiations to effect their release, whichever is more expedient.
Obinna Akukwe ( Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ) reports.
*Photo Caption - U.S. President Barack Obama
[ Masterweb Reports: Hilda Ifegwu reports ] - My role through my writings have been from the traditional angle as an Ada Abia. It is traditional in the sense that Umuada from the cosmology of the Igbos would always intervene to make peace, especially in tricky and knotty issues. I have been away for over three months and so been unable to contribute but the present situation, bordering on the 2015 election is worrisome and the Igbos say that an elder cannot be in the house and watch the goat strangulate itself. I plead that if I fail in my mediation, please jettison my words but do not throw me away as I cherish my Igbo heritage.
Abia like other states of the Federation is brimming and brewing with political activities. Men and some women are into frenetic efforts to position themselves to the state of jostling for positions of visibility for May, 29, 2015. Nothing so odd as it is the mode of political circumstances where so many are at the base and few or only one person will bubble to the top, chosen by the accredited electorate and electoral system. Abia has a peculiar case and through this peculiarity may be very close to the proverbial light at the end of the political tunnel if handled analytically and positively.
It is obvious that such a decision cannot be taken without the contribution of Chief T. A. Orji, the incumbent Governor and leader of the PDP in Abia. Many, as it is normal are watching his lips to give direction; most of the contestants have their hearts thumping, praying feverishly that the governor plays the good umpire as any of his moves would tilt the balance.
Ochendo has exercised unexpected caution as many would have cared less and anointed somebody of their choice mostly based on selfish considerations. In truth, Ochendo has spoken, giving the direction of the governorship but, not pointing at any particular individual.
The most peculiar of all situations is in the sense that one third of the senatorial zones, the Ukwa na Ngwa, of the Southern Senatorial Zone have wept like a motherless child. They have furiously pointed at the crown as the only and most important object that have made them strangers in their own land since the creation of Imo State till the migration to Abia. Chief T. A. Orji, an important umpire has unequivocally stated that power shift along the line of the senatorial ones is the most proper thing and the most suitable mode fashioned out of equity. This “Zonal Shift” is the line of thought of most states. Enugu, Ebonyi, Cross-River and Akwa Ibom are on the same wavelength. Weighed on a natural scale, it is only human and reasonable that where three people, three communities, even three states have an inheritance and two out of these three had gotten their shares, what stops the third?
Abia Charter of Equity from which arguments are flying, making a claim for Isiukwuato based on the “I” in ABIA acronym, may seem a wild goose chase considering so many factors. Even in the Charter of Equity, the book doused the fears of domination and denial of zones and recommended a spread of political, elective and appointive positions.
If we may ask, what is the population of Isiukwuato in present day Abia? They only exist in one Local Government and a fraction of Abia North made up of five Local Government Areas. Have we moved to the considerations of LGAs or rather equating them with zones? If Isikwuato is ALLOWED, Umuneochi, Umuahia South and Arochuckwu may come up with claims for equal opportunity.
Such argument may not stand or be supported by facts. We are in the threshold of implanting sanity, equity and fair play if we take the political journey to the South. The gains will be unspeakably enormous: Unnecessary tussles will be laid to rest. On the second note, it would give the potential senatorial zone time to prepare, putting their best foot forward in terms of candidates. Having planned and executed well, court cases would be less, thuggery and thuggism would be on its way to extinction with little attention paid to settlement and extortions by law enforcement agencies.
The incoming governor would spend less on election bills and would have valuable time for the electorate. Having gone through an impartial selection process among peaceful coexistence, the stakeholders and electorate will have much say in the government of the day, distancing the killer we-and-they feelings.
And finally to bother Onyebor, be careful with the people urging you to run for office, there is hunger in the land and people are eyeing your bulging pocket for you just left the army shoulder high. Take some time and study the electorate. Military solutions may not be suitable for political and civil situations. Military precision may be counterproductive to emerging Civil Society disorder. If you proceed as they’re urging you, you may come out with your shoulders low, drenched like a bird in an unexpected rain. History has a lesson from Ojukwu who joined the NPN straight from exile. Even when he was in the heart of the Igbos, he never won any election till he died.
For our wonder kid Uche, you have mastered energy and credited with oily pockets. This is one game you have not mastered. It is a quicksand, slippery and highly consuming. Take a little time, study, mingle and jingle with our people, do more charity works as you have been doing, deliver speeches, attend more burials and wedding occasions. Four or eight years are not a lifetime for age is on your side. More so, I see you as a better parliamentarian than one trapped in governorship labyrinth. Mind you, this is my candid opinion; you can always exercise your constitutional rights. As it stands, you may take it or leave, the choice is strictly yours.
Hilda Ifegwu reports from Umuahia, Abia State.
*Photo Caption - Governor T. A. Orji
[ Masterweb Reports: Death Announcement ] - With a heavy heart and profound sorrow, the Akpom family of Umuaroli village Onitsha announce the sudden and painful death of their wife, daughter, cousin and friend Mrs. Jovita Nkeonyelu Akpom. Born on Tuesday, the 23rd of September 1980, she passed away at a tender age of 33 years of age on Wednesday, the 2nd of July 2014 at the Arlington Memorial Hospital in Arlington Texas (Close to Dallas Texas). Jovita is the wife of Ike Akpom, the younger brother to the venerable Attorney at Law Onwa Okey Akpom.
Words cannot begin to describe the pain and anguish that our wife's passing has inflicted on us. We are certainly aware that death is inevitable but not so soon especially to a young lady full of life and vitality. This is a profound loss and the shock continues to reverbrate. But amid this pain, we surrender to the Lord Almighty for it was Him that giveth and it was him that taketh. Jovita was very lovely, extremely lively, kind hearted with a very gentle soul. She may have transitioned to the land of the departed but her memory will glow in our minds forever.
On Friday, the 18th of July 2014, a wake keeping ceremony will take place at the:
Venue: People's Convention Center
Address: 2710 West Irving Blvd
Irving Texas 75061
Irving Blvd @ Roger Williams Rd
(Irving Bazaar Shopping Center)
Time: 8pm CST
Phone Number: 972-375-1189
All are invited to join the Akpom family, the Onitsha and the larger Nigerian community in the Dallas Texas area to bid a fitting farewell to Mrs. Jovita Akpom. Our hearts ache with anguish but God knows best and it is on this platform that we bid our farewell to our beloved wife until we meet again. Ije Oma.
The following individuals can be contacted about the wake and the corresponding arrangements:
Chizoba Abadom 480-650-5393
Onwa Okey Akpom 817-917-6069
Attorney Bernard Nwaiwu 214-537-0489
Ike Akpom (Husband) 817-449-4563
Rasheed Musa 972-357-4140
Murry Musa 817-966-2752
Frank Akpom 817-204-8576
Akunne Bosah 682-558-4922
Chris Iwobi 469-528-5107
Dr. Onyekachi Okoro 214-253-7486
Doris Chemirmir Akpom 214-288-9099
Clara Ndupu 817-602-9928
Onyeoma Nwata 469-464-6637
Ezenwa-Aroli Nnamdi Okolo 817-204-8086
*Photo Caption – Late Mrs. Jovita Akpom