|« Governor Obi Presents Cheque for Heart Centre||Should Nigeria's Media Be Censored Or Is This Tactic To Muzzle Nigerians Even More? »|
*“Kill the Igbo, General Azubuike Ihejirika, and Jonathan Will be Plucked Off.” - Islamic cleric, Sheik Ahmad Abubakar Gumi
By Ikechukwu Enyiagu
Just a few days ago, as attributed to the said outspoken Islamic cleric, Sheik Ahmad Abubakar Gumi, these statements were made in response to Boko Haram and the Nigerian military approach in response: “Take them [soldiers and police out from the Boko Haram’s ravaged areas of the north] to the barracks or rooms, and we (the north, Nigerians?) will get peace.” Furthermore, he said, “there was a plot to oppress Muslims since the Chief of Army Staff is a non-Muslim.” Then he fumed, “We are back in the Ironsi days.” The reason these statements made in the height of bigotry and utter hate deserve any scrutiny and response is because they were made, not in any other place by this Sheik, but right on his pulpit as he delivered a sermon to Nigerian Muslims at the famous Sultan Bello Mosque in Kaduna at a largely-attended Ramadan sermon on Friday evening. ( Continues below….. )
Photo Above: Islamic Cleric Sheik Ahmad Abubakar Gumi
This man who obviously intends to breed more anti-Igbo/Christian/Southerners northern Muslims went on to say, “What we are saying is in the spirit of peace; they should remove these soldiers and police on the roads and nothing will happen to us in the name of Allah…If the Boko Haram (terrorists) are Muslims, they should leave us with them, and enter their barracks. Muslim cities like Sokoto, Kano, Maiduguri, Kaduna, Bauchi, Yobe and all others should be vacated.” Now, to men of/in his religious and ethnic class and to many other political slaves who lead their people in many Southern States in Nigeria, these statements are harmless and made “in the spirit of peace.” Well, I disagree, and I’m certain that the true Spirit of Peace equally disagrees. Let me tell you why:
1. He said that there has been a plot to oppress Muslims since the Chief of Staff is no longer a Muslim. What he actually revealed is that their kind of peace will never be attainable in Nigeria unless a Muslim is the Chief of Staff; in other words, when a Muslims is at the helm of national security, then the Muslims are secure, but, when they are not, their security is not guaranteed and the “peace of a peace-loving people” is threatened. It will be noted that Lieutenant general Onyeabo Azubuike Ihejirika is the first Igbo man who has ever attained to such a position, and that, for over forty years, it has been these bigots who have ruled and claimed Nigeria as their spiritual birthright. For half a century and more that they have ruled and administered their kind of peace, war, deprivation and outright denial of justice are what they have delivered to other Nigerians (and themselves, sadly) as symbol of peace. The emergence of a non-Muslim Chief of Staff and the President from the South-South who is equally a non-Muslim did not bring about violence and all the atrocious and anti-people activities of the northern children.
2. Then he claimed that Nigeria (or, specifically, the north) is now back to the times when Ironsi was in power. It will be recalled here that this very Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi, an Igbo man, was the most qualified of the army officers after the first coup (which, by the way, has been established to be anything far from being “an Igbo coup,” but the first Nigerian military response to the general chaos, mainly in opposition to the dominance privileges given the north by Britain, Nigeria’s colonial master, as terms to get northern oligarchy into a One-Nigeria for the then sole purpose of serving the British. This dominance by the north made things unworkable for the whole of the South in particular and for the new independent Nigeria in general) and, therefore, rightly assumed the post of the military head of the then Nigeria when he survived the assassination plans by the coup plotters. But just about six months into his leadership as the first Nigerian military head of State, as he moved about trying to make peace and settle every unrest and reasons for unrest, the northern oligarchy then championed a purely religious and ethnic coup in which both Aguiyi Ironsi and his host, Lieutenant Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi, the then Military Governor of Western Nigeria, were ridden with bullets by Theophilus Danjuma (the vagabond who still wanders in the corridors of power in the abominable Nigeria) and his northern soldiers. His crime was that, although he was not a part of the coup plotters which saw to the death of Ahmadu Bello, the then Sarduana of Sokoto, his delay or refusal to punish those behind the coup within the six months of his assumption, brought about his death and the deaths of mostly all Igbo high-ranking military officers. And although these bigots and brutes would neither see reasons with Aguiyi Ironsi when he swiftly did all he could to, firstly, douse tension by appointing the northerners to most of the top positions, nor would they give him time to amend what was lightly fractured, they carried out pogrom and then installed a puppet, Gowon, to perfect their wickedness. By the statement of this Islamic scholar, Sheik Ahmad Abubakar Gumi, he has reawakened the spirit of the 60s and is now telling the northern children that the emergence of President Goodluck Jonathan and General Ihejirika were, in every way, to destroy the Muslims and the northerners. This is the very spirit which brought about the “Araba” pogrom and the genocide. Since this very spirit was wrong then, he is still wrong today because it’s proven to be alien to peace; it’s clearly the spirit of the Antichrist – the spirit of falsehood.
3. And, finally, he demanded that the government of Nigeria should leave the northern parts of Nigeria for the terrorist Boko Haram because “they are Muslims.” In saying this, he has moved too quickly and has now blown the cover of their new “northernization policy,” a sequel to that which Ahmadu Bello brought about. He is, in clarity, saying: “These people you call terrorists are Muslims and are doing the works of peace. If the government of Nigeria loves peace, they must take the police and the army off Muslim cities like Sokoto, Kano, Maiduguri, Kaduna, Bauchi, Yobe and others. In other words, he is saying that he, in all he preaches, stands where Boko Haram stands, that is, that a federal government, where Muslims will be a part and where Sharia system will not take over State law, is an abomination. Furthermore, he is affirming that all northern cities should be rid of the Igbo, Christians, Southerners, the police and the army. ( Continues below….. )
Photo Above: President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria
Having given these few lines, I’m still certain that any other able person could carry out a critical evaluation of these statements of bigotry made by a religious leader to whom many northern youths listen and still arrive at these discoveries:
1. He speaks the mind of the north
2. He intends to create a 21th-century Araba in the north
3. Just as the entire north renounced the good gestures of Aguiyi Ironsi, he has clearly told northerners to renounce both President Goodluck Jonathan and Lieutenant general Onyeabo Azubuike Ihejirika.
4. He has, invariably, emphatically and pointedly, through his “Ironsi days” speech, told all Muslim serving in the army to mutiny and to kill Gen. Ihejirika so as to be able to either use Goodluck Jonathan, as the puppet Gowon was used, to carry out further genocides, or kill him as well.
The question now is: against which ethnic group, against which nationality do they plot these in vain? The answer may not be as clear as what we must all do to ensure that the reign of evil is cut short. I therefore remind the President, Goodluck Jonathan, that he is not actually far from his enemies and that, a stich in time saves nine. To you, Mr. President, I say: you clearly have two choices to choose from:
1. Work towards a so-called second term, and be sure that you may not enter it in one piece.
2. Use your position as a South-Southerner and immediately kick in steps for the peaceful dissolution of this country (since we all know that it will be dissolved some day soon).
3. If you choose the first, be sure that your generations and your people will become eternal slaves in the new Nigeria (although the Igbo will not be part of it). If you choose the second, you would have created a name for yourself above the names of all who have ever ruled Nigeria; a name which will not only be synonymous with freedom, but will be the pride of your people for generations to come. And you can be sure that supports will galvanize themselves towards you and this noble action. However, as for those who plot wickedness and exult the reign of evil, I say: You will be thrown down into the valley of regrets, and the days of your wickedness are over!
The Irish man, Edmund Burke, a onetime statesman, author, orator, political theorist and philosopher who served for many years in the House of Commons of Great Britain as a member of the Whig party, was quoted as having said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Although many have said that he never used this quote often attributed to him, however, my interest lies in the truth of those words. How true they are! But, then, one is often moved to ask: how much of good deeds and responses can men do and give to stop the reign of evil? And in the case of Nigeria, it would be: how much of these revealed truths can the enslaved, shackled, yoked, used, frustrated, destroyed Nigerians hear, see and take to heart before they can understand that their destinies lie with them? Better still, when will Nigerians, and especially those continually used, understand that our silence, ineptitude and nonchalance approach to issues which bother on us, as a people, and on our posterity will not reduce evil, or at least, apportion it its place by law, but will multiply so much so that even we, ourselves, will eventually get ultimately consumed in our silence?
Nevertheless, we will not relent, ignore, treat with kid-glove, or change course in our responses to that spirit which has designed his destiny in the annihilation of our people. Although we have no interest in waging any war or killing people who have not done us any harm or even avenging, blood for blood, the genocide crimes carried against us by the north and Nigeria, we know that the sensitization of our people will eventually set them free from the psychology of the genocide and embolden them to defend, even defend themselves, against further acts of terror, bigotry, hatred and domination; as Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, May 15, 2001) once said, “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. While we make known to him (the antichrist who brings war and calls it “peace”) that he is a failure from inception, we also remind those who have comfortably worn this spirit of injustice, destruction, bigotry and all manner of evil that there is a time for everything: a time to sow and a time to reap; a time to be arrogantly wicked and callous, and a time to swim in the consequences of such inhume and godless arrogance towards other humans and towards all God’s creation.
Sahara Reporters (2012), “Sheik Gumi: Soldiers Are Fighting Innocent Muslims, Not Boko Haram”, Sahara Reporters, New York, http://saharareporters.com/news-page/sheik-gumi-soldiers-are-fighting-innocent-muslims-not-boko-haram (Accessed on 08/13/2012)
Ikechukwu Enyiagu can be reached at
*HOW TO USE NIGERIA MASTERWEB DAILY NEWS BLOG:
(1). To Post Articles:- Click on "Log in" above on the top left hand side of this page, then click on "Register" to set up an account to enable you post articles. Enter required fields including Username, Password and Email Address. You will be required to validate your email. Your membership will be approved 2 to 24 hours after your validation. Thereafter, go to the blog, click on "Log in" and log in and click on "Write" to post articles. *Returning members - click on "Log in" and log in and click on "Write" to post articles. It takes beteween 24 to 72 hours for posted articles to be released by moderators. ( Please note that only news articles can be published here. Unconfirmed reports and controversial articles are not allowed and will not be approved. )
(2). If you do not include your full name in posted articles, they will not be approved and will not be published.
(3). To Read Posted Articles/Blogs:- Just click on any of the "Categories" or "Sub-Categories" below